Kaos (ケイオス Keiosu?) is the son of Desty Nova and a former late night DJ widely known for his broadcasts via the pirate radio station Radio K.A.O.S. He possesses psychometry, a paranormal ability that enables him to "read" an object or person by touch.
Kaos is a tall, slim man with fair skin and shoulder length fair hair. His eyes have pale pupils and irises, but when possessed by his uncontrollable rage or Den his pupils became white and his irises became dark. Physically Kaos is very skinny, as his ribs are visible. He has an EPR transmitter that was installed into his heart and nervous system by Nova to remotely control Den's slave body.
He typically wears a light coloured long-sleeved shirt and matching pants and shoes, over which he usually has a robe wrapped around his upper body. Kaos also favours a light coloured turban and although he can see without them, usually wears sunglasses. He first wore a black pair, which was later replaced by a lighter coloured pair that featured solid metal lenses which had multiple glass miniature lenses implanted. His latest pair is black and similar to his first pair. Although he can walk unassisted, Kaos usually relies on a cane for support, as he is physically frail. Depending on the circumstances, he also carries a katana previously owned by Ryukisai Tachibana that he can skillfully wield due to his psychometry. For a year he was forced to wear a pillory that connected his left arm to his neck by Vector, but it was removed after he proved himself to the latter.
In Gunnm: Martian Memory Kaos has white hair, wears black sunglasses, and a light blue robe and pants with dark blue shoes. An illustration by Yukito Kishiro for the 2003 Ultra Jump calendar depicts him as having white hair and wearing a light khaki turban.
Psychometry: Kaos can instantly learn and channel the memories and abilities of any object's previous owner as well as learn their entire history just by touch. He can similarly learn a person's history through physical contact. Its only weakness is if the object that Kaos tries to read has been demagnetized, removing any trace of its prior history, or is brand new without any previous owners.
Kaos exhibited various abilities in the following areas:
- Combat: As a result of his frail physical condition, Kaos did not engage in hand to hand combat. However by using a katana belonging to the Japanese master Ryukisai Tachibana he could use the sword fighting style Hikida Kage-ryū. He has defeated a team of Desty Nova's cyborg ninjas, three of Vector's henchmen, and the cyborg swordmaster Pizmo, all without sustaining any injuries. Kaos' connection to Den enabled the latter to control his body and make use of his sword techniques, although he was unable to defeat Alita.
- However after Geppa was killed during the game of Death Checkers forced upon Kaos by Nova X, the katana which he had been carrying was destroyed. It was subsequently recreated but lost the history of its previous owner, thus rendering Kaos no longer able to use Hikida Kage-ryū.
- Cybersurgery: When he first touched Alita, Kaos read Daisuke Ido's experiences as a cyberphysician, although Ido had never worked on the cyborg body that Alita was actually using at that moment, the TUNED Body. This enabled Kaos to repair Alita after she had overloaded her lungs in an effort to save Koyomi. The experience of the surgery was so close to how Ido would have operated on her that Alita at first thought that it was him. However Ido's parental love for her was transformed into a romantic love by Kaos, something that he was not able to get over, although it was unrequited.
- Hacking: After accessing a computer terminal in the Granite Inn, Kaos was able to determine its layout and flood all eight of Nova's erapape routes. When he tried to hack into the Ouroboros Program, his first attempt failed and his heart stopped, but he succeeded on a second attempt and was able to disrupt Nova's final dream scenario by appearing as Den. Kaos was later able to use the Agrippa Circuit computers and some reconfigured deckmen to help patch in the Combat TV broadcast of the Tenth Zenith of Things Tournament Finals to the Scrapyard.
- Music: One of the objects psychometried by Kaos was a DX-7 digital synthesizer formerly owned by Alan Parsons. In the original manga he sang a song from the album Gaudi.
Enhanced senses: Kaos has different physical senses from normal humans: he can only see in infrared and only hear and speak via radio waves. When he first met Koyomi she had to wear a special transceiver to communicate with him. A similar transceiver was also worn by Jasmine. However this idea was soon discarded, as later characters who have interacted with Kaos have not worn a transceiver yet been able to communicate with Kaos just fine.
Enhanced durability: Depite being physically frail, a condition he has had to deal with since birth, Kaos has proven to be quite resilient. He took a beating by Vector's thugs and despite having a pillory placed on him by Vector that bound one of his arms to his neck and rendered it useless, was able to survive in the Scrapyard for a year. Nearly a year later he was hit by a taxi and despite lying unattended for some time, did not sustain any serious injuries.
Kaos was born in the Scrapyard although his mother has never been mentioned. Jasmine knew him since he was a young boy and was part of the household. At one point Nova gave Kaos a caged bird which he wondered at and longed to touch. When its caged was opened though the bird flew away but was shot by a netman. Nova ridiculed his son's actions and pointed out that nothing that could fly was permitted below Tiphares, causing Kaos to be mad at himself. It was also at a young age when the Den aspect of Kaos' personality would sometimes seize him and drive him into a murderous rage. During one such incident he severely beat a man and broke his wrist, but after the rage dissipated he could not recall what had happened.
Battle Angel AlitaEdit
|e · d · v||Desty Nova|
|Incarnations:||Nova II • Nova X • Porta Nova • Super Nova|
|Staff:||Barzarld • Eelai • Daisuke Ido • Jasmine • Kayna • Jim Roscoe|
|Patients:||Alita • Deckman 100 • Den • Daisuke Ido • Jashugan • Makaku • Tzykrow • Zapan|
|Inventions:|| Collapser • Cyborg ninjas • Doll bomb • Imaginos Body (Imaginos trigger) • Maggot Body|
Ouroboros Program • P Box • Restorer • Stereotomy • Water pressure converter
|Residences:||Desty Nova's manor • Granite Inn|
|Technology:||Gehirn Umbao • Nanomachines|
|Weapons:||Desty Nova's machine pistol • Smith & Wesson Model 610|
|Related articles:||Flan • G.E.N.E. Project • Orbital University • Tiphares University|